2023 Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin Colours
Rugged, agile and highly capable, the fundamentals of the Africa Twin’s enduringly popular package carry on unchanged for 23YM. On offer is hard-edged off-road performance from an athletic, lightweight chassis with slim rally-style bodywork and characterful, torque-heavy 1084cc engine. A full electronics package uses a six-axis Inertial Measurement Unit to manage HSTC, cornering ABS, Wheelie Control, Rear Lift Control and cornering detection functionality on the DCT version. Practicality comes in the shape of multiple riding modes, standard fit cruise control, USB port and full colour 6.5-inch TFT touchscreen incorporating Apple CarPlay(r) and Bluetooth connectivity.
For 23YM, there are updates to two of the three available paint schemes – a full-stealth Black Metallic version and a new ‘Glint Wave Blue Metallic’ Tricolour.
Honda Africa Twin History
It’s been well over three decades since the Honda XRV650 Africa Twin first rolled into Europe and while the motorcycle that now bears its name – launched for 2016 as the CRF1000L Africa Twin – was a brand-new machine from the wheels up, it fully inherited the essence and spirit of what made the original so popular.
It was the balance between power and weight that was at the heart of the original bike’s appeal, just as it was for the new model. With its unique, athletic appearance, an enjoyable, usable engine and capable, comfortable chassis, the CRF1000L Africa Twin proved itself a true modern-day all-rounder and has been hugely popular with round-the-world adventurers, around-town commuters and weekend tourers alike, with over 85,000 units sold.
2018 saw the Africa Twin, in both manual transmission and Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) form, receive Throttle By Wire (TBW) control plus 3 riding modes, expanded Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) options, as well as intake and exhaust development for improved engine response and sound. The platform also expanded: the Africa Twin Adventure Sports – with the same updates but featuring improved wind protection, greater tank range and longer-travel suspension – extended the machine even further into long-range territory.
For the 20YM, the introduction of a bigger capacity, longer stroke 1084cc engine marked another landmark in the evolution of the Africa Twin. The touring comfort, technology and ability of the CRF1100L Africa Twin Adventure Sports* were further enhanced – adding the option of Showa Electronically Equipped Ride Adjustment (SHOWA EERA(tm)) suspension, and the CRF1100L Africa Twin itself was comprehensively redrawn with an aggressive, compact rally style and even sharper off-road focus. Alongside the increase in power and torque from the new engine, it was also significantly lighter – in keeping with the first principles set out all those years ago.
22YM saw the Africa Twin equipped with refined DCT settings for even smoother handling in 1st and 2nd gears, standard fitment aluminium rear carrier and striking, ultra-modern ‘Big Logo’ graphics. Although there are no specification changes for 23YM, the evolution of two, ultra-cool paint choices add even more to the Africa Twin’s all-round desirability.
Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin 2023 Model Overview
The CRF1100L Africa Twin is a motorcycle focused on core off-road ability with the look – and feel – of a true rally machine. Slim and lightweight, its 1,084cc parallel twin cylinder engine produces 75kW power with 105Nm torque, while the steel frame is the foundation of its handling prowess; it also uses a bolt-on aluminium subframe. The aluminium swingarm references that of the CRF450R moto-crosser.
At the centre of the Africa Twin, a six-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) controls not only the 7-level HSTC but also 3-level Wheelie Control, Cornering ABS (with off-road setting), Rear Lift Control and enhanced DCT cornering detection. There are four default riding modes: URBAN, TOUR, GRAVEL and OFF-ROAD.
Tailored for complete control, the riding position features a slim-section seat and high-set handlebars. Dual LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) give optimum visibility, improving safety. Cruise control is standard-fit. A full colour Multi Information Display (MID) 6.5-inch TFT touch screen brings immersive engagement with the machine’s systems, plus Apple CarPlay(r), Android Auto(r) and Bluetooth connectivity.
Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin 2023 Paint and Colour Options
For 2023, the CRF1100L Africa Twin will be available in three paint options. The Mat Ballistic Black Metallic, new for 23YM, comes complete with a colour matched rear subframe. The classic Tricolore option is renamed as ‘Glint Wave Blue Metallic Tricolore’, as it features blue front ‘face’, and blue front fender and tail section with red and white detailing. The third colour is the classic ‘CRF’ Grand Prix Red, which pays homage to Honda’s off-road racing heritage.
- Grand Prix Red
- Mat Ballistic Black Metallic – now with all-black frame
- Glint Wave Blue Metallic Tricolour – with blue front ‘face’, and blue front fender and tail section with red and white detailing (NEW)
Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin 2023 Technical Specifications
- Type: SOHC Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve Parallel Twin with 270° crank and Uni-cam
- Displacement: 1084cc
- Bore x Stroke: 92mm x 81.5mm
- Compression Ratio: 10.1:1
- Max. Power Output: 75kW at 7,500rpm
- Max. Torque: 105Nm at 6,250rpm
- Noise Level: L-urban73.5dB, L-wot79.2dB - MT; L-urban 73.6dB, L-wot 79.4dB – DCT
- Oil Capacity: 4.8/4.3 (5.2/4.7 DCT)
- Carburation: PGM-FI
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 18.8L
- CO2 Emissions: 112g/km MT; 110g/km DCT
- Fuel Consumption: 4.9L/100km (20.4km/L) MT; 4.8L/100km (20.8km/L) DCT
- Starter: Electric
- Battery Capacity: 12V-6Ah Li-ion BATTERY (20Hr)
- ACG Output: 0.49 kW / 5000rpm
- Clutch Type: Wet, multiplate with coil springs, aluminium cam assist and slipper clutch; DCT – 2 wet multiplate clutches with coil springs
- Transmission Type: 6 Speed Manual (6 Speed DCT)
- Type: Semi Double Cradle
- Dimensions (L´W´H): 2,330mm x 960mm x 1,395mm
- Wheelbase: 1,575mm
- Caster Angle: 27.5°
- Trail: 113mm
- Seat Height: 850/870mm (low seat option 825mm, high seat option 895mm)
- Ground Clearance: 250mm
- Kerb Weight: 229kg (DCT 240kg)
Front: Showa 45mm cartridge-type inverted telescopic fork with dial-style preload adjuster and DF adjustments, 230mm stroke.
Rear: Monoblock aluminium swing arm with Pro-Link with SHOWA gas-charged damper, hydraulic dial-style preload adjuster and rebound damping adjustments, 220 mm rear wheel travel.
- Front: 21M/C x 2.15 wire spoke with 21" aluminium rim
- Rear: 18M/C x 4.00 wire spoke with 18" aluminium rim
- Front Tyre: 90/90-21M/C 54H (tube type) (Bridgestone BATTLAX ADVENTURECROSS TOURER/ AX41T Metzler KAROO STREET)
- Rear Tyre: 150/70R18M/C 70H (tube type); (Bridgestone BATTLAX ADVENTURECROSS TOURER/ AX41T Metzler KAROO STREET)
- ABS System Type: 2 channel with IMU
- Selectable ABS MODE with ON road and OFF road setting
- Front: 310mm dual wave floating hydraulic disc with aluminium hub and radial fit 4-piston calipers and sintered metal pads
- Rear: 256mm wave hydraulic disc with single piston caliper and sintered metal pads.
INSTRUMENTS & ELECTRICS
- Instruments: LCD meter, TFT 6.5inch touch panel multi information display
- Security System: Immobiliser, security alarm (optional)
- Headlight: LED
- Taillight: LED
- Electrics: Daytime running lights, Bluetooth audio and Apple Carplay(r), Android Auto(r), USB Socket, auto turn signal cancel, cruise control, emergency stop signal, IMU, HSTC, wheelie control