Frequently Asked Questions

We hope that the FAQs below are helpful. If you cannot find the information you are looking for, please call us on 01733 907000* or email and we would be happy to answer any questions (you can also find links to other useful pages including the Insurance Product Information Documents (IPID), at the bottom footer of this website).

FAQs below for:

  • Motorcycle Road Insurance
  • Multi-Bike Insurance
  • Bike Travel and Repatriation Insurance (also known as "Repat")

Motorcycle Road Insurance FAQs

  1. What is an Excess?

    An excess is a contribution you are required to pay towards a claim you make on your motorcycle insurance policy.

  2. What is the difference between a Compulsory and Voluntary Excess?

    A compulsory excess is a mandatory amount that an Insurer has specified to underwrite a particular policy. A voluntary excess is your own choice and is always in addition to a compulsory excess. So for example if your compulsory excess is £300 and you have chosen a voluntary excess of £100, your total excess is £400.

    Selecting a voluntary excess may help to further reduce your insurance premium, please make sure that you are comfortable with the total excess.

  3. What is No Claims Discount (NCD)?

    A no claims discount (NCD), or no claims bonus, is a count of the number of years in which you haven’t made a claim on your motorcycle insurance policy. For each claim free year you will be awarded 1 years NCD. Accumulating NCD may help to reduce your premium as well as opening up an insurer's acceptability to insure you on certain motorcycles.

    Please see Section titled ‘No Claims Discount (NCD)’ of your Policy Document for more details.

  4. What is Protected No Claims Discount (PNCD) cover?

    If you have accumulated 4 or more years NCD and have no more than one claim in the past five years, you can protect your NCD by paying an additional premium.

    If you have no more than 2 claims in any 5-year period, your NCD entitlement will be unchanged and your NCD will not be reduced. If you make 2 claims in any 5-year period your NCD protection will end, meaning that the third and any further claims will reduce your NCD

    Protected NCD does not protect the overall price of your policy. The price of your policy may increase following an accident even if you were not at fault, however it does ensure your no claims discount is not reduced, further impacting your renewal premium.

    Please see Section titled ‘No Claims Discount (NCD)’ of your Policy Document for more details.

  5. Can I use my No claims bonus/discount (NCD) from my car insurance?

    In summary no, the NCD needs to be built up on a motorcycle. However in some circumstances we may be able to take NCD not built up on a motorcycle into account, we ask for details of other non motorcycle NCD on our quote journey so please make sure you provide details.

  6. I have purchased a second motorcycle and want to take out a policy, can I use my NCD?

    You can only use one set of NCD on one motorcycle at a time. If you do not have a second set of NCD please call us as we may be able to offer you a multi bike policy or apply a discount to recognise your experience.

  7. Does my policy cover me for riding other motorcycles?

    Your policy may cover you to ride other bikes, please check your insurance schedule and insurance certificate to see if this cover applies to you. It is best to check this when you take out or renew your policy.

  8. Does my motorcycle insurance policy cover me for riding abroad?

    Your motorcycle insurance policy will automatically allow you to ride in any countries that are part of the European Union for a period not exceeding 90 days. However it does not cover you for travel outside the European Union. Please see Section 4 of your Policy Document for more details.

  9. Do I need to declare non motorcycle claims or driving convictions?

    Yes, you must declare any claims or driving convictions irrespective of the vehicle they relate to. In some circumstances, subject to criteria, we may be able to waive the impact to your motorcycle insurance policy.

Multi Bike Insurance FAQs

  1. Why choose BeMoto for your Multi-Bike Insurance policy?

    BeMoto is a multi-bike insurance specialist with flexible packages designed around you and your collection. There are no limits to the number or types of bikes we can cover. Our policies all include Legal Expenses, NO fees to make policy changes and our Titanium Cover provides breakdown for all your bikes a single policy.

  2. How does Multi-Bike Insurance work?

    At BeMoto we have a number of multi-bike insurance packages designed to suit your needs, no matter what type or value of bike you have. We simply work out the main bike premium and add the additional bikes for a fixed fee based on your bikes value.

  3. Can you mix modern and classic bikes on a multi-bike policy?

    BeMoto multi-bike insurance is designed around your needs for whatever bike collection you have, including modern and classic road bikes, SORN and laid up bikes, even off-road and track bikes.

  4. Can you insure two motorbikes on one policy?

    BeMoto can insure any number of bikes as a multibike package. Because you cannot have multiple riders on a multibike insurance policy, you get significant discounts - afterall you can only ride one bike at a time.

  5. How many bikes can be covered on a Multi-Bike policy?

    At BeMoto there is no limit to the number of bikes we can insure on a multi-bike insurance package. We can also insure collections on our SORN insurance policy too.

  6. How much does Multi-Bike Insurance cost?

    BeMoto multi-bike insurance typically costs around £60 per additional bike, once the main bike premium is calculated. This can increase for higher value bikes.

Trackday Travel and Repatriation FAQs

  1. Will I be covered for overseas riding during the Covid pandemic?

    Our overseas trackday and off-road riding travel and repatriation policies are designed to cover you for emergency medical and repatriation costs following an incident when riding abroad (for the activity you have chosen), however there is an underlying exclusion which specifically excludes leisure holidays and trips to countries that are not on the UK Foreign Office exemption list for all but essential travel, i.e. Trackdays and MotoX holiday are NOT essential travel.

    It is your responsibility to make sure you are not travelling against Foreign Office advice as this may invalidate your cover.

  2. Will I be covered for catching Covid-19 or Coronavirus?

    Our policies do not provide cover for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against all or “all but essential” travel.

    Our policies will also not cover any claims, except for the Emergency Medical Expenses section, caused by or relating to Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above.

    The insurer will also not cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses.

  3. Does Repatriation Insurance cover private hospital treatment?

    No. Our policy is for public/state facilities only.

    We are not aware of any genuine BUPA style travel policies that "guarantee" private treatment, but encourage you to research the market and read the terms & conditions to make sure you're not just paying more for the same type of cover.

    Note: In exceptional circumstances, i.e. only where medically necessary and adequate public facilities are not available, the insurer may consider alternatives to public facilities on a case-by-case basis (this must always be pre-approved by the insurer, otherwise you’ll get the private hospital bill).

  4. What's the difference between a "Repat" policy and my EHIC card?

    EEA member states are obliged to treat UK citizens showing a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), however in some cases (for example hazardous sports injuries) EHIC is sometimes rejected by the hospital – rightly or wrongly. That’s why trackday travel insurance is required, even at public hospitals the bills can quickly rack up. Significantly neither does the EHIC get you repatriated home (where medically necessary and safe to do so) or where necessary repatriate one other person who is required for medical reasons to stay with you.

    Remember repatriation can be very costly, for example if you can't safely travel in a normal plane seat, or the airline won't accept the risk of travelling without medical supervision for the journey. Repatriation cover is included within the overall Medical Expenses limit (£50,000 for our Silver Cover and £250,000 for Gold Cover).

    In some cases insurers have paid for relatives to fly out, including accommodation, to support customers when stranded overseas whilst receiving treatment. Again an EHIC card won't provide this kind of support when needed.

    Find out more about the EHIC here (please note residents of the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands are not eligible): Travelling Outside the EEA (NHS page)

    Note: Make sure you answer all medical questions honestly and accurately when buying any travel insurance policy. Pre-Existing conditions will always be excluded unless declared and accepted by the insurer (sometimes for additional premium).

  5. Where does it say "Repatriation" in the policy document?

    There are a lot of things covered by these policies so it's sometimes hard to find exactly what you are looking for. The Trackday Organiser (TDO) will want to see the word "Repatriation" to ensure you can get home in the event of an incident on track, in addition to cover for emergency medical treatment costs.

    If you look for Page 19 in the top right hand corner of the repatriation policy document pages, you will see three bullets under the word "We will pay for", e.g.

    • Additional travel, accommodation and repatriation costs to be made for, or by, you and for any one other person who is required for medical reasons to stay with you, to travel to you from your home country or to travel with you, where it is deemed medically necessary.
  6. Can I take part in a "Fun Race" at the end of the trackday trip?

    Yes, as long as it's an amateur race event or session (not professional), but you must upgrade to the appropriate Activity Pack on the final page of the purchase journey.

    • Activity pack 4 - Inc Motorcycle Race/Day Event (one off amateur event, e.g. a fun race at the end of a trackday trip)
    • Activity pack 6 - Inc Motor Racing/Competition (more suited to an amateur race meeting)
  7. Can I use this policy for dirt and trail riding, including Motocross?

    Yes. In addition to motorcycle touring and amateur trackdays, this policy covers general off-road motorcycle riding or training as standard, e.g. taking place on rough or rugged terrain that is not a public highway, even on a Motocross style bike.

    However, if you want to take part in Motocross (MotoX), e.g. a cross-country amateur motorcycle race/trial over a closed course of rough terrain with steep hills and sharp curves, then you need to add Activity Pack 6 at the end of the online quote (click "Buy" after it's displayed the standard price to add activity packs).

  8. Can I claim for damage to my bike on this policy?

    No. Whilst we have separate trackday insurance policies available for accident damage to your bike on UK or European circuits, this trackday travel and repatriation policy does not cover damage to your bike.

  9. Will this policy cover the costs of a hire bike if I damage my own?

    No. Whilst the policy does have some cover for a contribution to replacement transport when touring, i.e. to continue your journey, it will not cover the cost of hire bikes at a trackday if your own bike becomes unusable.

  10. Why do Focused Events (FE) ask for £150 pre-authorisation at Almeria?

    The pre-authorisation charge reserved by Focused Events (FE) at Almeria is to cover the potential cost of the private ambulance that the circuit uses to take you to the public hospital, a bit like pre-authorisation at a hotel for potential food/drinks that will then get released if you don't use the service.

    This pre-authorisation is probably not required with their own trackside policies for emergency medical costs, however please bear in mind that any cover you buy at trackside may not cover other things included in a typical "Repat" policy (where medically necessary and within the medical cover policy limits), for example:

    • Repatriation back to the UK, or
    • Flying out a family member to support you in hospital if required.

    Note: The £150 pre-authorisation technically shouldn't cost you anything unless the private ambulance is actually used, however you can claim it back once in the UK.

  11. Can I purchase a Repatriation policy when I'm at the circuit?

    No. You must be a UK resident, starting and finishing your trip in the UK. The policy must cover your whole trip duration, not just the days on track and must be purchased BEFORE you travel. It’s too late once you’re there...

    Note: If you purchase cover at the side of the track for emergency medical costs, it may not cover things like repatriation back to the UK for you and anyone required to stay behind with you, in the same way a "Repat" policy does.

  12. Is it BeMoto who deal with the Travel Insurance and Repatriation claims?

    No. BeMoto do not handle travel claims. Travel Insurance Facilities ("TIF") deal with claims directly.

    We can’t risk being a middleman delaying the process of getting you vital emergency treatment and we certainly don’t have specialist medical claims handlers, relationships with hospitals and medical experts or a team of foreign language speakers...

    You, or someone in your party, should always call the 24 hour emergency assistance team on +44 (0) 203 829 3848 as soon as possible to get the insurer involved to ensure (a) you are taken to the most appropriate public/state medical facility and (b) it’s better if they agree treatment with the hospital in advance, where practical or possible, to avoid you committing to things they won’t agree to pay for.

    For non-emergencies the number is 0203 829 3873. Open 8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm Saturday.

    Clearly if you’re unconscious or in no fit state to make phone calls then that may mean calling them later, at the earliest possible opportunity. If you wind up in a private hospital through no fault of your own, the insurer reserves the right to move you to a public/state hospital at an appropriate time (being careful not to risk your recovery).

    NEVER give your passport to a clinic or hospital.

  13. Can I call BeMoto for help and support?

    Yes. We’re here to help, but we aren’t told by the insurer about your claim due to the strict data protection rules around Sensitive Personal Information (i.e. medical details); however please don’t hesitate to call us on 01733 907000* at some point AFTER calling the emergency assistance team to make us aware, but please note that unlike the assistance team, we’re NOT open 24 hours.

    In the vast majority of cases things go smoothly and as explained above we will never even hear about the majority of positive claims due to data protection restrictions, however things clearly can go wrong from time-to-time with so many parties in the process, including unfamiliar hospitals, cultures and non-English speaking Doctors.

    BeMoto are here to support you as our client where possible by explaining the process and chasing things up with the assistance company. Some of our team may occasionally hear about incidents on social media, trackday forums etc, but we cannot engage directly through those channels and in many cases wouldn’t be able to identify who you are anyway without more personal information. If we don’t know about issues with your claims experience we can’t help.

    Note: It's also likely that the insurer will not tell us or your friends specific details about your condition or treatment if we call them, unless you grant the insurer specific authority for someone else to act on your behalf (who can also pass data protection checks).

  14. What's the issue with private hospitals?

    Travel insurance policies generally exclude medical treatment in private facilities (unless absolutely necessary and pre-authorised).

    Just like in the UK private hospitals may not be equipped to deal with accident and emergency admissions, nor have the range of staff needed to provide such treatment, investigation and care.

    As businesses, private hospitals also exist to make profit and are often unregulated with less frequent inspections compared to public/state facilities. This means that private hospitals have been known to over-treat, delay treatment or discharge, over-inflate costs and allegedly have been known to claim for treatment that never actually happened (ever wondered why you need multiple scans or had to stay longer than necessary?).

    Be aware that some hospitals provide private ambulances or encourage taxi's to ensure you end up in their clinics, which if you're not careful can lead to you being trapped in their care with large bills to pay.

    However, we appreciate that some countries, even within the EEA, do not offer the same high standard of care we are used to with the NHS, plus the language barrier can be daunting when you're on your own in a foreign hospital. Research the local facilities in advance and make sure you call the emergency assistance team at the very earliest opportunity.

    NEVER provide your payment card details to a hospital or clinic.