Riding in Europe After Brexit (Green Cards)

  • EU riding with a Green Card after Brexit
  • Motorbike Touring Insurance
  • EU RAC Breakdown with Titanium Cover
Riding in Europe After Brexit (Green Cards)

BeMoto guide to riding in the EEA after Brexit...

Now that the Brexit transition period has finished and we are persona non-grata in Europe you will need to consider a few more things when planning a road trip or trackday /off-road trip in the EU (albeit Covid-19 has a thing or two to say about foreign travel).

  1. Up until the 1st August 2021 you will need to carry a physical 'Green Card' whilst riding in Europe - if you don't you will be breaking the law in that country. When we refer to "Europe" we actually mean the European Economic Area (EEA) and linked countries (Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland). You can find out more from Gov.uk or at the Council of Bureaux who manage the Green Card system.
  2. You also need an International Driving Permit (IDP) that allows you to drive in countries where a UK licence alone is not sufficient. You can use the Post Office IDP checker tool here.
  3. It is also important to carry your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which will still be valid until their expiry dates. After that, the UK government will issue a new Global Heath Insurance Card (GHIC) which will replace the EHIC for the majority of UK citizens.
  4. Make sure you have decent insurance cover, i.e. in addition to your comprehensive road insurance do you have European breakdown cover (check out BeMoto Titanium Cover) plus try not to rely on an EHIC or GHIC card for medical and repatriation costs if you are involved in an accident when taking part in hazardous persuits like off-road motorcycling or trackdays - it is also advisable to have specific motorcycle travel insurance top-up cover that includes touring on large capacity bikes (over 125cc).
  5. Finally, it helps to be prepared, why not check out the European Accident Statement Form process so that you are ready for anything, plus of course make sure you have all those annoying extra paraphanalia expected by the French police (GB signs, headlamp beam deflectors, luminous vests, torches, triangles, breathalysers, spare fuses etc). Oh and for gods sake don't let them find a speed camera detector/locator on your person if you get pulled...

From 2 August 2021 you will NOT need a green card to drive in the following countries: The EU (including Ireland), as well as Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland.

The European Commission has said that from 2022, UK citizens will also need to apply for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) visa waiver - similar to an American ESTA - which costs £6 (ish) in some circumstances.

For more information keep reading...

What is a Green Card?

Green Cards are an international certificate of insurance issued by your insurer in the UK, guaranteeing that the motorist has the necessary third-party motor insurance cover required for that country.

Green Cards are paper documents (not actually a card), which previoously had to be printed on green paper but this is no longer a requirement. You must carry a physical Green Card while driving riding your motorbike in the EEA and some other countries (Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland).

Where does my BeMoto Motorbike Insurance cover me in Europe?

In keeping to EU directives all road insurance policies provide the minimum cover (third party only), while you or any other named rider are using your motorcycle (subject to carrying the Green Card as evidence), to meet the laws on compulsory insurance of motor vehicles in:

  • Any country which is a member of the European Union; and
  • Any country which the Commission of the European Communities is satisfied has made arrangements to meet Article 8 of EC Directive number 2009/103/EC on insuring civil liabilities arising from using a motor vehicle.

However, BeMoto policies also provide extended cover for up to 90-days per trip which extends your Fire & Theft cover for TPFT policies as well as Accidental Damage for Comprehensive policies whilst riding in the EU. You can come back and go again for another 90-days but once you exceed the 90-day period your policy will revert to the minimum Third Party Only (TPO) cover.

For Titanium Cover customers, not only is a Green Card slightly cheaper (for printed copies), but your policy also includes full UK & European breakdown cover from the RAC for the ssame 90-days per trip.

You can find more information on the countries that follow the above EU Directive by visiting www.cobx.org

What if I ride my motorbike in Europe without a Green Card?

If you do ride in Europe without a Green Card you may be prosecuted for driving without insurance and could be subject to a fine and possibly have your motorbike seized.

It's possible you could buy insurance locally when you arrive in the country (sometimes called "frontier insurance"), however, it's likely to be tricky to find someone who will sell it to you and even more likely to be expensive compared to our Green Card process.

How do I get a Green Card to ride my motorbike in Europe?

Contact your BeMoto on 01733 907000* and we will send you your Green Card. You need to carry the physical document when you travel.

You can also email us at greencards@bemoto.uk

We require your name, policy number, registration number, dates travelling from/to and countries being visited. Digital emailed copies are free (allow 7 days notice). There is a fee for processing and postage if you want a physical copy sent out, which we will try to collect from any cards on file, or we will call you, before posting your Green Card. See below.

We try to process all requests within 3 business days, however please allow 7 days for postage once completed.

How long will it take to get a Green Card from BeMoto?

Please allow sufficient time for your us to process your request and (if needed) post your Green Card to you. We recommend allowing at least 14-days to be safe. If you call us on the way to the ferry port or whilst already overseas there's not much we can do...

However if you have your own green paper and time is short we may be able to email the document and you can print it yourself.

How long will my Green Card be valid for?

Green Cards are issued with a minimum of 15-days cover and in some cases can be valid for up to 90-days or until your next policy renewal date, so you can travel as much as you like on the same Green Card to those countries listed within the cover period.

How much will it cost to get a Green Card?

BeMoto do not charge for electronically issued Green Cards (i.e. emailed to you for you to print). Where you request a physical printed copy is posted to you we charge the following fees to organise, email, print and post your Green Card documents.

  • Emailed copy of Green Card (not actually green) is FREE - please allow 7 days notice
  • Paper copy on green paper is £10 for Carbon Cover customers and £5 for Titanium Cover customers - please allow 14 days notice

Please refer to our Terms of Business for full details of our fees and charges.

What is the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS)?

British citizens will not need a visa to visit Europe after Brexit, but, they will need an ETIAS Visa Waiver from 2022.

It will be available online for a "small fee" and is valid for up to 90 days of travel per 180 day period. The ETIAS Visa Waiver remains valid for 3 years or until a passport expires. In simple terms you can travel up to 6 x 90 days in that time on the one Waiver.

If leaving a European Border into a non European territory that is not part of the Schengen agreement UK Citizens will be required to have an ETIAS Visa.

Check out the list of Schengen countries.

What is a "European Accident Statement Form"?

These forms are provided by European motor insurers to their clients.

They have a standard design, but will be in the local language of the person insured. As all forms are exactly the same layout, it helps to see what the other party is filling in, even if the form is in a different language.

Whilst it's not compulsory, it's better to have one of these forms with you to complete at the scene of an accident.

There are two common sites used to download these forms:



How else can BeMoto help me ride my motorbike in Europe?

The first thing to sort is appropriate motorbike travel and repatriation insurance that covers you for emergency medical costs and repatriation back to the UK if medically necessary. Be aware that most UK travel insurance policies have a standard exclusion for riding motorbikes over 125cc so ensure you get top up insurance to avoid large hospital bills in the event of a spill, or worse being stranded in an EU hospital without the means to get home.

We also offer as standard full RAC European Breakdown with Titanium Cover road insurance policies. For only £40 extra you get the RAC top level cover including Home Start, Road Side, Recovery, Onward Travel and EU cover, but also £1,500 of Helmet & Leathers cover and £20,000 of Personal Accident and Accidental Death insurance. All our policies come with £100,000 of Legal Expenses Insurance and NO broker fees to make changes so what are you waiting for?

Call 01733 907000* to speak to BeMoto about your Green Card, European Motorbike Touring Insurance and our Titanium Cover.

* Calls may be recorded for our joint protection

Green Card FAQs

  1. Does my motorcycle insurance policy cover me for riding abroad?

    BeMoto motorcycle insurance covers you to legally ride in any country which is a member of the European Union and any country which meets Article 8 of EC Directive number 2009/103/EC (insuring civil liabilities arising from using a motor vehicle).

    • Third Party Only Cover is included as standard in these countries;
    • We also extend your cover for up to 90-days per trip for Fire & Theft (where you have TPFT cover) or Fire, Theft & Accidental Damage (where you have Comprehensive cover).

    However, post-Brexit you may need a BeMoto Green Card to ride in Europe and other paperwork like an International Drivers Permit (IDP) from the Post Office.

  2. Does my policy cover me for riding other motorcycles?

    It is quite common to get cover for Riding Other Bikes (third party cover only within the UK) included in BeMoto motorbike insurance policies, however this can vary depending on factors, for example: your bikes engine size, the type of cover you have chosen or your occupation.

    Please check with our insurance representative to see if this cover applies to you. It is best to check this when you get a quote, take out or renew your policy as it may require us to change the insurer we use for your policy to get this cover if it is important to you.

    It will show on your Certificate of Insurance if you have this cover and is only valid within the UK - if you want a mate to ride your bike or you ride theirs overseas then you will need to add each other as named riders on the policy.

  3. Do BeMoto do travel insurance?

    Yes, BeMoto offers travel insurance for bikers who want to tour in Europe, take part on overseas trackdays or off-road riding (whether that's Enduro, Motocross or cross-country adventure riding).

    Most normal travel insurance policies exclude cover for riding large capacity motorbikes overseas, in other words they'll cover you for riding a 50cc moped or 125cc scooter but nothing more, so if you decide last minute to jump on a quad tour or hire a cruiser for the day you may not be covered for emergency medical and repatriation costs unless you buy specialist cover like ours.

    BeMoto Travel and Repatriation Insurance (often known as "Repat") is also widely used for Euro trackdays and dirt bike holidays, including amateur racing events if you choose the additional options/packages on our policy - no cover is available for professional racing overseas.