What is Trackday Repatriation Insurance?

  • Emergency Medical Costs (Track Injuries)
  • Repatriation back home to the UK
  • Cover for damage to your riding gear
What is Trackday Repatriation Insurance? Buy Now

Ever wondered what Trackday "Repat" Insurance is all about?

Many UK track riders will at some point visit a European circuit for the [almost] guaranteed sun and track time; it’s less common to use circuits outside of Europe so this page is focused on Euro trips - besides we won’t cover trackdays in the USA, South America or Canada.

Our European friends don’t like the idea of their tax-payers getting stuck with your hospital bills for something they consider hazardous and at your own risk. It’s therefore mandatory with most Trackday Organisers (TDO) at EU circuits to have what’s known as Repatriation Insurance (“Repat”) or Trackday Insurance.

In actual fact a Repat Insurance Policy is a typical travel insurance policy, but where normal travel insurance excludes “Dangerous Sports” or “Hazardous Pursuits”, ours specifically includes trackday riding as an option you can add for extra premium, as well as damage to your riding gear in an accident on track (all subject to policy limits).

Our Trackday Travel & Repatriation Insurance also has options to cover you for amateur racing as well (sadly we don't cover any professional racing).

Note: You must be a UK resident, starting and finishing your trip in the UK. The policy must cover your whole trip duration, not just the days on track and must be purchased BEFORE you travel. It’s too late once you’re there...

You also need to be wearing the approved motorcycle apparel on track (see our FAQs at the bottom).

What does Trackday Repatriation Insurance cover me for?

Simple summary of key benefits and policy limits for comparison (when track activity pack is selected):

Travel Insurance Section (Including Motorcycle Track Activity Pack)Gold LevelSilver Level

Cancellation – If you are unable to go on your trip (only for specific reasons)



Emergency medical treatment abroad for injuries sustained on track



Emergency medical treatment abroad for illness or injury everywhere else



Repatriation (Alive) - If you need to be brought home



Repatriation (Dead) - To bring home a body



Personal Accident Cover - Lump sums paid to you for injuries on track*



Personal Accident Cover - Lump sums paid to you for injuries everywhere else



Legal Liability - If you are held legally liable for injury or damage on track*



Legal Liability - If you are held legally liable for injury or damage everywhere else



* Everyone signs a disclaimer and accepts the risk of personal injury and damage to their own bike and riding gear when riding or racing “on track”. Trackdays would not last long if everyone sued each other for damages when something went wrong. Once off the bike and the track, then it’s just a normal travel insurance policy with these sections restored (for simplicity “everywhere else”).

Always ensure you have checked the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website for travel advice on the country you are travelling to - make sure it is OK for non-essential travel. You will NOT be covered for claims arising from non-essential trips like trackdays if you travel against FCO advice.

Get Trackday Repatriation Insurance Quote

What's the difference between Single Trip and Annual Multi Trip?

There isn't much variation between them, they're basically the same cover with a couple of differences:

  • Maximum Trip Duration
    • Single Trip policies are for a one-off trip with a fixed duration that you choose
    • With an Annual Multi Trip policy you can travel whenever you like and as many times as you like (within the geographical regions selected), but the maximum days of cover per trip is 31-days - unless agreed otherwise.
  • Age Limits for Travellers
    • The maximum age is higher at 75 years old for a Single Trip policy
    • Annual Multi Trip policies have a maximum age of 66 years old

As a general rule it is cheaper to buy a couple of Single Trip policies if you're only going to do a couple of Euro trackdays in a year, however for any more than that the Annual Multi Trip policy starts to become better value.

Why do I need “Repat Insurance” when I have an EHIC or GHIC card?

Whilst EEA member states are obliged to treat UK citizens showing a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or the new post-Brexit Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), sometimes for hazardous sports injuries these cards are rejected by the hospital – rightly or wrongly. That’s why trackday travel insurance is required, even at public hospitals the bills can quickly rack up - so your Emergency Medical Expenses are covered by our policy (up to £100,000 for our Silver Cover and £250,000 for Gold Cover).

Significantly, neither does the EHIC or GHIC get you repatriated home (where medically necessary and safe to do so) or where necessary repatriate one other person who is required for medical reasons to stay with you.

Remember repatriation can be very costly, for example if you can't safely travel in a normal plane seat, or the airline won't accept the risk of travelling without medical supervision for the journey. Repatriation cover is included on top of the Medical Expenses limit (up to £50,000 for a body or £100,000 with a pulse) - we shouldn’t joke - but it’s not something any of us want to think about.

In some cases the insurers have paid for relatives to fly out, including accommodation, to support customers when stranded overseas whilst receiving treatment. Again an EHIC or GHIC card won't provide this kind of support when needed.

Whilst it might not cover all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK, you should always carry an EHIC or GHIC card anyway. You can apply for an GHIC online or by calling +44 (0) 300 330 1350 (if your EHIC card is still within date then that’s OK too).

IMPORTANT: Make sure you answer all medical questions honestly and accurately when buying any travel insurance policy. Pre-Existing conditions will always be excluded unless declared and accepted by the insurer (sometimes for additional premium) and misleading the insurers about your medical history could cost you dearly.

Can I upgrade to a private hospital?

No. Our policy is for public/state facilities only. Whilst we appreciate that some EEA countries do not offer the same high standard of care we are used to with the NHS, it's very difficult to find insurers that will accept trackday risks and cover private costs as well.

However much you might prefer it, treatment at private hospitals is specifically excluded unless agreed by the insurer first (in rare circumstances); see our Travel Insurance FAQ: "What's the issue with private hospitals?" at the bottom of this page to understand why.

We are not aware of any genuine BUPA style travel policies that "guarantee" private treatment, this is even less likely for policies that cover trackdays due to the increased likelihood of claims. If true private hospital insurance exists and you can afford it, then fantastic, but do your research as you might pay more for no concrete guarantees (see below note).

However, we do understand that if you have an accident whilst participating in a track event you will usually be taken to the nearest appropriate medical facility, which could be public or private for initial emergency treatment and assessment. If you are admitted to a private facility, call the emergency assistance line as soon as possible and the insurer will advise what options are best for you (for god’s sake don’t let them have your credit card)!

Note: In exceptional circumstances, i.e. only where medically necessary and adequate public facilities are not available, the insurer may consider alternatives to public facilities on a case-by-case basis (this must always be pre-approved by the insurer, otherwise you’ll get the private hospital bill).

Who actually provides this insurance?

There are a number of parties involved in the process of offering you this Trackday Travel & Repatriation Insurance, which can be confusing, hopefully this helps identify who does what:

Who arranges and administers the policy?BeMoto Travel Insurance is provided by Brokersure Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under Firm Reference Number 501719.

For Quotes or Amendments to your policy or for additional medical screening call:

+44 (0) 330 880 0389
Open 8:30am-6pm Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4pm Saturday.

Email: bemoto@brokersure.com
Who underwrites the insurance?Unless otherwise stated this Insurance is underwritten by Arch Insurance (UK) Limited (FCA Register No: 229887).

Arch Insurance (UK) Limited are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Who handles emergency claims?Please contact CEGA Assistance on the number above as soon as possible if any medical expenses are likely to exceed £500 or if you are admitted to hospital.

Travel and Medical Assistance from CEGA (24/7):

+44 (0) 1243 621 501

Email: assistance@cegagroup.com
Who handles non-emergency claims?BeMoto Travel Insurance
CEGA Claims Service
PO Box 127,
Chichester, West Sussex,
PO18 7WQ.

+44 (0) 345 258 7172
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm (closed at the weekends).

Email: claims@cegagroup.com
Who do I call for legal advice and legal expenses claims?For legal advice and legal expenses claims call DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company (24/7):

+44 (0) 177 934 0470

Quote Reference: TV1/6954720
Where should hospital bills be sent?BeMoto Travel Insurance
CEGA Claims Service
PO Box 127,
Chichester, West Sussex,
PO18 7WQ.

+44 (0) 345 258 7172

Email: claims@cegagroup.com

Please write your policy number on any correspondence.

We’re all authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Calls may be recorded for our joint protection.

Follow these links to read the Insurance Product Information Documents (IPID) and full Trackday Repatriation Policy Documents

Do I call BeMoto to report a claim?

No. BeMoto does not handle travel claims. The insurer has appointed CEGA Assistance to handle claims, including 24/7 emergency medical assistance and non-emergency claims. It is important to call CEGA Assistance on the number in the table above as soon as possible if any medical expenses are likely to exceed £500 or if you are admitted to hospital.

We can’t risk being a middleman delaying the process of getting you vital emergency treatment and we certainly don’t have specialist medical claims handlers, relationships with hospitals and medical experts or a team of foreign language speakers...

You, or someone in your party, should always call the CEGA 24 hour emergency assistance team on +44 (0) 1243 621 501 as soon as possible to get the insurer involved to ensure (a) you are taken to the most appropriate public/state medical facility and (b) it’s better if they agree treatment with the hospital in advance, where practical or possible, to avoid you committing to things they won’t agree to pay for.

For non-emergencies the CEGA general claims number is +44 (0) 345 258 7172. Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm (closed at the weekends).

Clearly if you’re unconscious or in no fit state to make phone calls then that may mean calling them later, at the earliest possible opportunity. If you wind up in a private hospital through no fault of your own, the insurer reserves the right to move you to a public/state hospital at an appropriate time (being careful not to risk your recovery).

NEVER provide your payment card details to a hospital or clinic.

Can I call BeMoto for help and support?

In the vast majority of cases things go smoothly. We will never even hear about the majority of claims due to strict data protection rules around medical information, however things clearly can go wrong from time-to-time with so many parties in the process, including unfamiliar hospitals, cultures and non-English speaking Doctors.

BeMoto are here to support you as our client where possible by explaining the process and when necessary, chasing things up with the assistance company. Some of our team may occasionally hear about incidents on social media, trackday forums etc, but we cannot engage directly through those channels and in many cases wouldn’t be able to identify who you are anyway without more personal information. If we don’t know about issues with your claims experience we can’t help.

It's also likely that the insurer will not tell us or your friends specific details about your treatment if we call them, unless you grant the insurer authority for someone else to act on your behalf, who can also pass data protection checks.

See our Trackday Repatriation FAQs for more questions and answers before buying online or speak to our specialist team on +44 (0) 330 880 0389 - Open 8:30am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4pm on Saturdays (you can also buy cover by phone).

Trackday Repatriation Insurance FAQs

  1. What motorcycle clothing do I need to wear for trackday repatriation insurance?

  2. Does Repatriation Insurance cover private hospital treatment?

  3. What's the issue with private hospitals?

  4. Can I purchase a Repatriation policy when I'm at the circuit?

  5. Where does it say "Repatriation" in the policy document?

  6. Can I claim for damage to my bike on this policy?

  7. Can I take part in a "Fun Race" at the end of the trackday trip?